Friday, June 3, 2011

Motor upgrade ($$$ ouch!)

A picture is worth a thousand words.. so I'll show you the upgrade first


As a reminder, the old motor on the right was the car starter from the 1999 Sunfire.
The previously-loved motor on the left is from a place in Brampton Ontario.

Anyways, she's a 10" long 7" diameter 24V, 1725RPM motor.
Not quite the beast I was hoping for, but I'm planning on overvolting to 36 to get a higher locked-rotor torque. I think I'll have to be careful to limit the RPM somehow, I don't know if she will survive wide-open-throttle on flat ground (The armature expands and slams into the stator. Poof goes your money.)
Apparently though, everyone in the go-kart hobby arena overvolts their motors - it's just a question of how long you want the motor to last...

I've tested her on 12V using the IGBT controller I haven't even posted on my blog yet. I really need to put batteries in my video camera and actually do some filming.
On 12V the motor doesn't do anything all that interesting.. It's "slow" even at full speed, and doesn't have enough starting torque to even jump a little when I go from 0% to 100% throttle instantly.
Since it is a series-wound motor I'm sure she'll take off with a higher voltage, but I still was hoping for more... These things are supposed to wind up like crazy in a no-load situation.

Onwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment